The Greater Morristown YMCA can trace its beginnings all the way back to 1874. The Y was founded on the vision and principles of our founding Fathers, Dr. Frederick W. Owen and Rev. Thomas E. Souper. These men had a vision for the young men of Morristown: "to have the men do great things through concentrated actions instead of be lured by evil." The first meeting was held in the Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Speedwell on the Green, on Friday, January 2, 1874.
HERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT DATES IN OUR HISTORY
- January 14, 1881 first home of the Greater Morristown YMCA is purchased at the Woods Estate on Park Place in the center of Morristown.
- The Y was only open to males during this time.
- This changed in 1883 when, Mrs. Jacob L. Sutplen founded the Ladies Auxiliary which consisted of the several active women who had assisted in raising over $30,000 for the new facility. Around the time of World War I when the building finally opened its doors to women and girls -- but on a part time basis. The Ladies Auxiliary organized and implemented all the classes offered to females, and they were only offered limited, exclusive time in the gymnasium.
- 1884 the demands of expansion leads the Board of Directors to consider a new home for the Y. The lot at 13 South Street is purchased for $3,700.
- October 10, 1888 the second home of the Y is opened.
- The new century brings about new changes. In 1909, the corner lot at 60 Washington Street and Western Avenue was purchased for $14,000.
- 1913 the new facility is opened and it becomes the third home of the Y.
- In November of 1981 the fourth home of the Y is opened at our current location 79 Horsehill Road in Cedar Knolls.
- In 2001, thanks to the generosity of many throughout our service area and beyond, we completed a renovation which upgraded the entire facility and increased our functionable space from 37,000 sq. feet to 48,000 sq. feet.
- In 2002, the property next door at 65 Horsehill was purchased by the Y for our new Richard F. Blake Children's Center, completing our campus to a total of 13 acres.
- In 2009 Y took over management of the Allamuchy Center, where we offer care to young children ages 3-5, including those with special needs.
- On March 2011, Carol Armour President/CEO of our Y announced our new name at a gala event: The Greater Morristown YMCA. Still the same great Y, we just got a little Greater.
- September 2011, the Y took over Collinsville Child Care Center in Morristown. This center provides year-round care for 50 preschoolers from federally eligible, low income families in the Morristown area.
- On December 2012, the Y took over operations at Ada Budrick Child Care and Learning Center in Boonton, NJ.
- In May 2014, the Y opened its sixth child care center with the opening of the Little Starts Pre-School program at Mountain Way Elementary School in Morris Plains NJ.
- In November 2014, the Y opened Harmony House, an Adult Day Care program in Madison, NJ. This program provides day time care for senior citizens and adults over the age of 18 who require care due to cognitive difficulties.